What to get your Aging Parents for Christmas?
30 Questions to Ask Your Elders This Holiday Season
As the holiday season approaches, it’s a perfect time for families to come together and care for one another in the home and reflect on the past. Gathering around the table to share stories and memories is a tradition that has been passed down through generations and is an important way to connect with one another. Assistance Home Care was founded in honor of Sally’s mom, whom we lost to Alzheimer’s. Don’t lose this incredible time and opportunity to focus on what’s most important. Be sure to make the most of this special holiday time to revisit and learn about these treasured memories and even take the time to record this Q&A as it happens. The following questions can help shed light on so many incredible stories and memories that have been locked away for so many years. There is absolutely no better present one can give than taking the time to collect your aging parent’s memories and insights and record their life story.
- What was your childhood like?
- How did your parents influence you?
- What are some of your fondest memories from your childhood?
- What was your first job and how did you get it?
- What was your first experience with love or romance like?
- What was your first major accomplishment or defining moment?
- What are some of the biggest challenges you’ve faced in your life?
- How did you handle those challenges?
- What are some of the key lessons you’ve learned in life?
- What was your education like and how did it shape you?
- What was your career path like and how did you end up in your current role?
- What are some of the most meaningful or memorable experiences you’ve had in your career?
- What are some of your hobbies or passions outside of work?
- How have your relationships with friends and family evolved over the years?
- What are some of the biggest risks you’ve taken in life and what did you learn from them?
- What are some of your most meaningful relationships and how have they impacted you?
- What are some of your biggest regrets and what did you learn from them?
- What are some of the things that have brought you the most joy in life?
- What are some of the things that have brought you the most stress or hardship in life?
- What are some of the things you’re most proud of in your life?
- What are some of the things you wish you had done differently in your life?
- What are some of the things that have surprised you the most in your life?
- What are some of the things that have shaped your values and beliefs?
- What are some of the things that have changed your perspective on life?
- What are some of the things that have given you hope or helped you through difficult times?
- What are some of the things that have made you who you are today?
- What are some of the things that have inspired you throughout your life?
- What are some of the things that have made you laugh the most?
- What are some of the things that have touched your heart the most?
- What are some of the things that have given you strength or courage in your life?
Capturing these treasured memories is a gift that we can give to future generations. It helps to preserve the rich tapestry of our family’s history and provides a sense of belonging and connection to those who have come before us. Don’t miss the opportunity to collect these stories and perspectives during the holidays – they will be cherished for years to come and truly the best gift ever!
If you are caring for a loved one at home with memory loss or having challenges moving freely within their home and you need help, please reach out to us and see how we can assist you in honoring your loved one’s wishes to stay at home. Visit AssistanceHomeCare.com or call us at 314-466-3227 for more information on how in home senior care can help!