When In-Home Care Can Help
When is the right time to start care? If you are like most of our families…..probably 6 months ago!
Care. It may be a small word, but one that encompasses many emotions and physical activities when it comes to caregiving. Caring for an aging parent or spouse is demanding, both physically and emotionally. Family caregiver stress and burnout are all too common, and your health often deteriorates faster than the aging loved one you’re caring for. Seniors want to maintain their independence and dignity so they won’t usually ask for help until they’ve suffered a fall or had a hospital stay. A physician or social worker might recommend a senior home care agency, but it’s not always easy to determine when it’s the right time, and which services are needed.
It might be time for in home care when your loved one:
- Stops preparing full meals, lives on TV dinners, or often says they just aren’t hungry.
- Lets their daily hygiene start to slip.
- Forgets to take medications or confuses medications.
- Doesn’t pay bills on time or forgets to deposit checks.
- Becomes fearful about driving or limits their driving (avoids busy streets or doesn’t drive after dark).
- Starts limiting contact with family and friends.
- Doesn’t engage with others in group situations.
It might be time you reach for the help of a professional Home Care Agency Caregiver service when you:
- Live too far away to reach your loved one quickly in an emergency.
- Have difficulty lifting your loved one, or it’s causing physical pain.
- Lose time at work because of your family caregiver responsibilities.
- Put your own life, family and marriage ‘on hold’.
- Experience isolation, depression or just feel overwhelmed.
- Feel guilty and stressed, despite doing all that you can, like you’re not doing enough.
Assistance Home Care – Ready to help when you need us!
You are not alone. There are resources available to prevent caregiver stress and burnout, eliminate the guilt, and restore balance to your life.