Home Oxygen Safety
Home Oxygen Safety Checklist
- Mark all entryway’s to the home with “Oxygen in Use” signs.
- Do not use any flames, candles, burning incense, gas stove flames or any other spark causing devices in the same enclosed room and/or within 20 feet of the oxygen equipment or supplies.
- NEVER smoke with oxygen on or around someone using oxygen. This includes Vaporizers, cigars, or cigarettes.
- Keep flammable products (aerosols, nail polish remover, paint thinner, etc.) in a separate room from the oxygen and supplies
- Do NOT use petroleum products (Vaseline, Blistex, etc.) while wearing oxygen.
- Keep all Oxygen sources and supplies (including tubing) at least 20 feet or more from electrical appliances, gas stoves, candles, lighted fireplaces, portable heaters, or other heat sources.
- Keep a working Fire extinguisher on each level of the home.
- Keep a working Smoke detector on each level of the home.
- Oxygen cylinders should be stored either lying on the floor where they cannot roll, fall, or get hit or secured in an upright position to a fixed object or in a stand.
- DO NOT store the cylinders in a confined area (i.e., closet, trunk).
- Oxygen concentrators should be plugged into a surge protector or grounded outlet.
- Do NOT use extension cords for oxygen concentrators.
- Keep the concentrator at least 12 inches from a wall to avoid overheating.
- Maintain the oxygen concentrator per oxygen company’s instructions.
- Liquid Oxygen concentrators should be in an open area and not used as a table or covered with a sheet, tablecloth, etc.
- Notify the electric company that your home has an oxygen concentrator that runs on electricity.